CYFYM Minutes 2019

Canadian Young Friends Yearly Meeting in Session 2019

Eighth Month, Sixth Day (August 6), 2019

In attendance: Asher Segel-Brown, Sarah and Saloma Owocki, Zaley Warkentin, Wesley Weima, Kailey Trevithick, Caroline Martindale, Lilia Fick, Stephen Ginley, Caileigh Morrison, Maggie Knight, Evelyne Russell, Greg Allan, Harmony Morris, Ian Cotterill, Christopher Paradis, Jackie Bonner, Tim Kitz.

08.06.1 Clerk

We approved Evelyne Russell to serve as Clerk for this session.

08.06.2 Freedom of the Meeting

We granted freedom of the Meeting to Rebecca Ivanoff and David Summerhays.

08.06.3 Recording Clerk

We approved Maggie Knight to serve as Recording Clerk for this session.

08.06.4 Consideration of the Agenda

We considered and amended the agenda.

08.06.5 Naming to Program Committee

All regular CYM Program Committee positions are currently filled, but CYFYM is able to name a Friend to serve in an additional spot. We approve Caroline Martindale to serve as a CYFYM representative to CYM Program Committee for a term of two years.

08.06.6 Card and greetings to Alex Roberts (VIMM)

Gathered CYFYM Friends will send a card with love and greetings to Alex Roberts, a Young Adult Friend from Vancouver Island Monthly Meeting who planned to attend CYM in Session this year but had a serious scooter accident in which she broke both her femurs. We will hold her in the Light.

08.06.7 General check-in

Friends shared joys and sorrows of their presence at CYM 2019 so far. Many Friends are having fun, enjoying community, and appreciating the programming; one Friend expressed that she found the Young Friends/Young Adult Friends gathering transformational. Some Friends have had more difficult and painful experiences and are wondering about their future with this Yearly Meeting community. Several Friends are carrying heavy CYFYM and/or CYM service responsibilities, which can be both joyous and draining. Friends spoke of the challenges and joys of inter-generational interactions, and desires for older Friends to rely less on the younger Friends for all things technological assistance. Some Friends are not over-committed and are finding joy in food coop service and in being asked to do favours for gathered Friends. Some Friends expressed growing and continued interest in attending YF/YAF gatherings and CYM in Session. Friends reflected on the challenges of Quaker process and terminology, which can be inaccessible to Friends who are new to Quakers and/or new to Canadian Yearly Meeting in Session. Friends reflected on themes of resilience. Friends expressed gratitude for all those who have helped organize the YF/YAF Gathering and CYM in Session, and for the intimate, honest space of Canadian Young Friends Yearly Meeting.

The check-in ended with spontaneous group hugs.

08.06.8 Freedom of the Meeting, Act 2

We extended freedom of the meeting to Tim Kitz. There was expectant chewing.

08.06.9 CYFYM Representatives report

CYFYM Representatives Wesley Weima and Zaley Warkentin reported, providing information about the reps’ activities over the past year. Alex Wickenheiser, the third CYFYM Representative, was unable to attend CYM in Session this year. The Representatives’ report is attached.

The CYFYM Representatives expressed their strong support for the continuation of the CYM Secretary position. Cameron Fraser has been invaluable in supporting the representatives and the gathering committee. Many Friends gave thanks for his mentorship and advocacy on behalf of Young Friends and Young Adult Friends. Friends feel that the support of a staff person such as the CYM Secretary is crucial to CYFYM being able to hold retreats and function in its current structure.

The Representatives received a request from Continuing Meeting of Ministry & Counsel to name a Young Friend / Young Adult Friend to CMM&C, and discerned that they did not have capacity to do so. The Representatives will communicate to CMM&C that they hope that CMM&C will seek younger Friends to serve through the existing Monthly Meeting nomination process.

The Representatives reported on their use of the CYFYM budgeted funds; significant funds remain for travel and other CYFYM expenses this year. Friends thanked them for their financial stewardship and care. Friends spoke of the importance of individual discernment regarding our financial needs and capacity when discerning both whether to seek financial assistance (for example, to attend gatherings) and how we may feel led and able to contribute financially to CYM; Friends reflected on how their needs and capacity has ebbed and flowed over time.

Friends thanked the representatives for their service.

[Notes: Zaley to Anabaptist conference, Wesley to Seattle. Communications have been somewhat improved by having a email hidden; JavaScript is required email account.]

08.06.10 Nomination of 2019-2020 CYFYM Representatives

After considerable discernment, the following Friends were named to be CYFYM Representatives for 2019-2020: Zaley Warkentin (Winnipeg MM), Wesley Weima (Thousand Islands MM), and Stephen Ginley (Peterborough MM).

08.06.11 Closing Worship

We closed with silent worship.

Canadian Young Friends Yearly Meeting 2019 Session

Eighth Month, Eighth Day (August 8), 2019

In attendance: Asher Segel-Brown, Zaley Warkentin, Wesley Weima, Kailey Trevithick, Caroline Martindale, Lilia Fick, Stephen Ginley, Caileigh Morrison, Maggie Knight, Evelyne Russell, Jackie Bonner, Tim Kitz, David Cheatley.

08/08/1 Recording Clerk

We approved Caileigh Morrison to serve as Recording Clerk for this session.

08/08/2 Freedom of the Meeting

We granted freedom of the Meeting to David Cheatley.

08/08/3 Gathering Report

Jackie, Zaley, Evelyne and Harmony were identified as the gathering committee. The committee made an oral report. Friends shared that it was a great weekend. There was spirit, joy, fun, and bonding. Young Friends in particular had a lot of fun and continued play during CYM in Session. The organizers showcased their gifts in the activities they planned. The Swarthmore Lecture screening and discussion after were a highlight for many Friends. The Gathering built the foundations for a strong community of young people. Organization was a lot of work. Process and deadlines were unclear, which made work more complicated. Cameron Fraser was very helpful as the committee went through the process. Despite the issues, the gathering was very positive. The theme of the gathering was “transformation.” This year’s committee has created a lot of infrastructure that can be passed on to next year’s committee, which will make the process run more smoothly.

08/08/4 Safe Nurture Issue

Dealing with situations involving minors is very challenging and supervision needs to be improved. Safe Nurture Training was completed the first day of the gathering, and risk assessment did not occur. There were communication issues between CYM and CYFYM regarding Safe Nurture Training. There are also provincial laws regarding minor supervision that were not researched in advance. This issue must be raised seriously with CYM, as minors, facilitators and the gathering as a whole are put at risk when procedure is not followed. The organizing committee will write a letter to raise this issue with CYM. A draft will be completed and sent out for input from CYFYM by the end of August. The letter will be finalized and submitted to CYM by the end of September.

 08/08/5 2020 Gathering

Evelyne Russell (Toronto MM), Stephen Ginley (Peterborough MM), Caileigh Morrison (Winnipeg MM), Harmony Morris (Lethbridge WG; subject to consent) and Caroline Martindale (Hamilton MM; subject to consent) were named to YF Gathering Committee for 2020. Caroline Martindale will liaise with Program Committee in her role on said committee. Stephen Ginley will liaise with fellow CYFYM reps.

08/08/6 Freedom of the Meeting Act 2

We granted freedom of the Meeting to Catherine Novak.

 08/08/7 Organization and Procedure Rewrite Nomination

CYM has approved an Organization & Procedure rewrite subcommittee of Discipline Review Committee and CYFYM can choose to name a representative to this subcommittee. We name Rebecca Ivanoff (Yonge Street MM) to serve on this subcommittee. Rebecca is a (slightly) Older Adult Friend under the care of CYFYM, to whom we have given freedom of the meeting during our business meetings this week. Rebecca is encouraged to consult with CYFYM as she feels led.

08/08/8 Planning for a discussion regarding the future of Canadian Yearly Meeting, and YF/YAFs in relation to CYM

CYFYM would like to acknowledge that CYM is undergoing a process of transition. Change is hard, but there is joy in transformation and resurrection. As Young Friends, we want and need CYM to be here because we need it to survive out there. If we bring our needs to CYM, they are met. How do we meet the needs of CYM in its transformation? We promise to be brave and share our bravery with CYM as it responds to its challenges.

If we want to uphold everyone and have them share their gifts, Friends need training. Young Friends do a lot of technological labour, and would appreciate being held in this endeavour and to be met by Older Friends. Older Friends have much knowledge to share with Younger Friends.

A call to monthly meetings: we want to be at home in you. Education and mentorship should start in monthly meetings.

CYFYM is the Committee for Hope. We don’t feel like we’re dying out.

CYFYM asks for the following:

    1. Program Committee to prioritize, on a reasonable timeline, CYM In Session workshops on clerking, recording clerking, vocal ministry, nonviolent communication, self-empowerment and digital literacy.
    2. Delegates to take this call for Quaker education back to their monthly meetings for discernment.
    3. Delegates to ask their monthly meetings to consider mentored positions so Friends of all ages can develop and practice skills in these areas.
    4. CYM Clerk to distribute this minute to monthly meetings on our behalf.

08/08/9 Regional Contacts

Regional contacts will continue in their roles, subject to consent. Zaley will confirm.

08/08/10 Closing Worship

We closed with silent worship.

CYFYM Minutes 2006

CYFYM Minutes 2006

6.1 After a brief silence, our clerks, Peter Early and Reykia Fick, opened the meeting with a description of what our business meeting was, both in practice and to them personally.

6.2 Moving on, we reviewed and approved the agenda for the night.

6.3 The acting recording clerk, Alan Tatro, was approved, and Marika Haspeck was named as an alternate recording clerk pending computer issues. We were then asked if anyone had a particular calling to join the nominating committee, as only 1 of the 3 members are in attendance at CYM. The names Chris Barfitt and Alan Tatro were put forward and approved by the meeting.

6.4 We then went over the positions that will need to be filled for next year, an reviewed the basics of each role.

6.5 The wider meeting had expressed an interest in having a Young Friend on Agenda Committee for the rest of the week. It was asked if any YF’s had a calling to be there, and after discussion about the position, and a moment of silence, Peter Stevenson was led to fill the role. Peter also suggested that the position not be added to the list of positions to be filled by nominating committee, as they are already burdened with many roles to fill, and few people to fill them.

6.6 The next item on the agenda was to fill the positions for Epistle Committee, and whether the Young Adult Friends and Young Friends should have a single epistle, or if their varying experiences warranted two separate documents. We decided that the epistle should be unified, and three people were led to help write it: Reykia Fick, Jessica Klaassen-Wright, and Steven Dewar-Turcotte. It was also decided that the epistle would be approved on a special meeting of CYFYM on Friday evening, rather than have it completed before the event is over for our meeting on Thursday.

6.7 The meeting was then asked if the Young Friends were interested in giving the Sunderland P. Gardener Lecture in 2008, as the wider CYM had expressed interest in our involvement. Some Friends expressed that perhaps this may be something for us to consider in the future, rather than exploring it as an option for 2008, as the option will remain open to us. Maggie Knight suggested a partially audio/visual presentation of Young Friends and Young Adult Friends speaking on the experience of being a Quaker. We decided to reconvene on Thursday after discerning if there is a leading from the Canadian Young Friends outside of the body of the current business meeting. An ad-hoc committee was formed for this task, which consisted of Peter Early, Maggie Knight, Marika Haspeck, and Alan Tatro. Friends also expressed that the decision has not been made whether we are doing the SPG lecture in 2008, but rather an exploration of whether it is feasible, and whether there is a leading among Young Friends to do so.

6.8 On the subject of harassment guidelines, the meeting was asked to look at guidelines from a previous meetings compilation on Sexual Harassment. Friends voiced concerns that these guidelines, although concise these guidelines may not cover all the “isms” that are matters for concern. It was decided that this is in any case a working document and that we would incorporate this as an attachment to our minutes and Rachel has volunteered to look into an appropriate time for those interested to meet and discuss the current guidelines.

6.9 Reykia Fick briefly explained the items of creating a format for YF’s to report from committees to which they have been appointed and that Sporadical being published at least once a year be a goal of our YF Sporadical Committee. These items have been moved to our next business meeting agenda.

6.10 We had a brief worship and a laundry basket procession followed by another brief closing worship.

Announcements: Youth Ministries Programs – www.quakeryouth.org

FGC developed to support YF’s with leadings etc. Get thee to the party!

August 17th 2006

6.17.1 Meeting opened with a few minutes of centering silent worship.

6.17.2 Minutes from our first sitting of the CYFYM meeting for business were read by Peter Earley and were approved by the meeting with revisions which will be made before the end of CYM session.

6.17.3 Nominating Committee announced the names of those nominated to fill the positions available this year. While Nominating Committee presented the names they had agreed upon, it was proposed to Meeting that the appointment of a supporting clerk would benefit the incoming nomination for Clerk and allow the other named to serve. It was recommended that rather than creating a new position, that we could affirm the position of Recording Clerk and assure that the Recording Clerk is more involved in the clerking responsibilities outside of CYFYM business meeting sessions.

6.17.4 There was a long discussion over many aspects of the list of names brought forward and also of several procedures that we have within our meeting. It was brought before the meeting that there were concerns over a lack of clearness for CYFYM Nominating Committee process. In particular, concerns were put forward about the possibility of Nominating Committee members being nominated for upcoming positions and of a presiding CYFYM Clerk serving on Nominating Committee.

6.17.5 We were reminded that Quaker practice has been developed with spirituality and within a worshipful setting. In order to provide Nominating Committee as well as all members serving the upcoming CYFYM 2007 with procedural guidelines to help them best carry out their business we re-affirm minute 05.23 of last year’s minutes that each member serving next year prepare a binder of information and that this binder include position guidelines, procedure information and information about previous difficulties and how they were resolved. To allow for growth within our Young Friends community we would like to have these binders available for all Young Friends to review and learn from during all CYFYM sessions.

6.17.6 Peter Stevenson has volunteered to serve as support for those members who will be preparing the binders. The meeting approved the Peter Stevenson be a part of this process and re-affirmed that these binders be put together for CYFYM meetings in future and as an ongoing process.

6.17.7 Meeting approved the appointment of Peter Stevenson as an additional member of nominating committee and Peter Earley felt led to withdraw his name from both this and next year’s Nominating Committee lists. Friend Earley felt that this would help affirm minute 6.17.4, and aid in healing the uncomfortable feelings the meeting expressed in regard to a possible conflict of interest.

6.17.8 Nominations will be approved in our follow-up meeting tomorrow and nominating committee will continue to discern over the names to be nominated for next year.

6.17.9 The Treasury Report was presented by Marika Haspeck. The Young Friends Fund as of August 15, 2006 was $4010.57. There are still travel costs to be claimed by WGYF participants in attendance this year and a new total will be available for tomorrow’s meeting.

6.17.10 Meeting closed with a few moments of worship.

Friday August 18, 2006

In attendance: Reykia Fick, Peter Earley (Co-Clerks), Marika Haspeck (Interim Recording Clerk), Christopher Barfitt, Kelly Ackerman, Peter Stevenson, Alan Tatro, Galen Fick, Jonathan Trofymow, Rachael Singleton-Polster, Jessica Klaassen-Wright, Steven Dewar-Turcotte, Elen Cheatly, Maggie Knight, Kim Powers.

06.18.1 Opening Worship

06.18.2 Minutes of last night’s business meeting were presented and approved with a small revision to the total of the Young Friends Fund.

06.18.3 Peter Stevenson presented the names from Nominating Committee. The names were approved as follows:

Incoming Clerk – Kelly Ackerman

Recording Clerk – Marika Haspeck

Nominating Committee – Reykia Fick, Rachael Singleton-Polster, Jonathan Trofymow.

Treasurer – Chris Barfitt

Sporadical – Rachael Singleton-Polster, Maggie Knight

CFSC Representative – Steven Dewar-Turcotte

Programme Committee – Jessica Klaassen-Wright, Rachael Singleton-Polster

Religious Education – Elen Cheatly

HMAC – N/A

Mentoring Clerks – Gail Wills, Marilyn Manzer

Listeners – Kelly Ackerman, Rachael Singleton-Polster

06.18.4 It was the general feeling of the meeting that we should include in our Nominating Committee binder a procedure to communicate with care, to involved Friends, any changes made from the initial reading of the nominations list, to the final presented list of names.

06.18.5 We believe that Maggie Knight has proven her leading and her ability to serve both CYFYM and our greater community. It is our recommendation that after completing her service with Camp NeeKauNis Committee next CYFYM session, Maggie Knight be deeply considered as a nomination for the CFSC Representative position.

06.18.6 We as a meeting have approved the appointment of both Programme Committee Representatives given that at least one of these people is in attendance at each of the Programme Committee meetings. The named representatives have agreed to split the Programme Committee funding for travel.

06.18.7 We had a brief break to allow for clearness of mind, spirit, and body.

06.18.8 In the interest of time we accept the adoption of the sexual harassment guidelines as a working document, and move to have a volunteer to work on addition to this document throughout the year and bring for some recommendations to CYFYM 2007 for consideration. Alan Tatro and Elen Cheatly have volunteered to do this and were approved to do so.

06.18.9 Galen Fick brought forward a proposal for the allocation of the remaining WGYF funds, which was read to the meeting. This proposal is attached. There was a great interest within the group that we begin fostering connections with Friends in Guatemala, and that the funds remaining from the WGYF fundraising be set aside to be used in our mission with this initiative. The meeting approved that this initiative and the allocation of funds be a goal for our meeting in the coming year. Galen Fick volunteered to be a main contact person to carry this forward and was approved by the meeting.

06.18.10 Funding was approved for Maggie $700, Kelly $450, and Marika $450.

06.18.11 Once an understanding of the complete financial outlook of CYFYM and WGYF funds was raised, the meeting came to agreement the CYFYM would allocate an additional $250 to the remaining WGYF fund to bring it to a total $1000. This fund will from this point be recognised as the Puentes de Amor Fund (Bridges of Love).

06.18.12 Friends approved funds for spiritual pizza to feed the soul and drinks for the party on the final evening of CYM Session.

06.18.13 Friends approved a feedback system for Young Friends currently serving on committees outside of CYFYM. Those Friends will write an annual report, which will be submitted both to the clerk of CYFYM and to the editors of the Sporadical.

06.18.14 SPG Lecture – The meeting decided that the feasibility of Young Friends hosting the SPG Lecture in 2008 didn’t exist. However, we expressed interest in doing it in 2009, and formed an adhoc committee for the purpose consisting of Marika Haspeck, Maggie Knight, Alan Tatro, Steven Dewar-Turcotte, Jessica Klaassen-Wright, and Peter Earley. The meeting approved these names.

CYFYM Minutes 2014

Canadian Young Friends Yearly Meeting 2014 Minutes

Monday, August 11, 9-10.

In attendance: Maggie Knight (YAF clerk), Rachel Urban Shipley (associate recording clerk), David Summerhays, Annie Takaro, Thea Walmsley, Shaun Bartoo, Stephen von Schulmann, Misia Robins.

  1. Opening worship: The meeting opened with silent worship. The clerk read number 16 from advices and queries: “Do you welcome the diversity of culture, language and expressions of faith in our yearly meeting and in the world community of Friends? Seek to increase your understanding and to gain from this rich heritage and wide range of spiritual insights. Uphold your own and other yearly meetings in your prayers.”
  2. Introduction to Meeting for Worship for Business: We began with a brief orientation on Quaker business process, followed by a round of introductions.
  3. Overview of this week’s major business/review of the agenda: We reviewed the agenda for the week.
  4. Naming from the floor: Misia Robins, Stephen von Shulmann, and Shaun Bartoo will write the epistle. The decision was made by seating arrangement, in true Quaker process.
  5. Nominations: We heard a report from Nominating Committee, which will be attached. In the report, the concern was raised that, although Nominating Committee has the responsibility to check in with Young Friends and Young Adult Friends serving on Canadian Yearly Meeting committees, there is no clear structure for supporting these Friends if they are not comfortable in their CYM positions. We discussed potential structures for Nominating Committee, discussing the appropriate size of this committee and whether the committee should continue through the year, as is the current practice, or whether it should simply be formed during the week of CYM. We agreed to take some time to consider these ideas and will reopen the discussion in Tuesday’s business meeting.
  6. Fruit break: we celebrated the diversity of peeling and eating techniques for bananas. We anticipate a Family Night act rising out of this important piece of business.
  7. Report from the Clerks: Maggie Knight reported on behalf of the clerks. The report will be attached.
  8. Closing Worship: We closed with silent worship.

Tuesday, August 12

  1. Opening worship: We opened with silent worship. The clerk read Advices and Queries #13: “do not assume that vocal ministry is never to be your part. Faithfulness and sincerity in speaking, even very briefly, may open the way to fuller ministry from others. When prompted to speak, wait patiently to know that the leading and the time are right, but do not let a sense of your own unworthiness hold you back. Pray that your ministry may arise from deep experience, and trust that words will be given to you. Try to speak audibly and distinctly, and with sensitivity to the needs of others. Beware of speaking predictably or too often, and of making additions towards the end of a meeting when it was well left before.”
  2. Reports from committees: we heard reports from a listener, the webminder, and YAFs currently serving on CFSC. These reports will be attached.
  3. Nominating Committee structure and form, part II: Friends approve the idea of appointing additional Friends to Nominating Committee to serve during the week of Canadian Yearly Meeting, should members of Nominating Committee be unable to attend. Friends decided that it would be appropriate to appoint two members to Continuing Nominating Committee, with two alternates appointed to replace them if these committee members need to lay down their service. We task the Canadian Young Friends Yearly Meeting clerks to stay in contact with Nominating Committee throughout the year to discern whether they wish the alternates to step in.
  4. Support for Friends struggling with their service: Nominating Committee raised the question of what is the appropriate response if, during check ins with Canadian Young Friends Yearly Meeting-appointed Young Friends and Young Adult Friends serving on Canadian Yearly Meeting committees, these Friends say that they are not, in fact, comfortable in their roles. The meeting felt that, should this situation arise, Nominating Committee should consult with the clerks of Canadian Young Friends Yearly Meeting, as well as the clerk of the committee on which the Young Friend or Young Adult Friend is serving (if appropriate). Additional resources could be Canadian Yearly Meeting Nominating Committee and Canadian Young Friends Yearly Meeting listeners.
  5. Guidelines for Young Friend and Young Adult Friend events: the clerk spoke to the challenges faced in organizing gatherings given that we lack a clear set of guidelines to help us fulfill our legal responsibilities and help us act in the spirit of the Safe Nurture of Children in Our Care policy. We also discussed whether we wish to have guidelines about more general norms that should be part of Young Friend and Young Adult Friend gatherings. We spoke of the typical practice at Young Friend and Young Adult Friend gatherings of creating group guidelines at the opening of the gathering, and affirmed our appreciation for this practice. We suggest that this could be accommodated by having a list of topics facilitators may wish to nudge the group to consider in this group guideline process. We ask the Youth Subcommittee of Education and Outreach to carry this work forward in close consultation with Canadian Young Friends Yearly Meeting.
  6. Threshing Session: How do we foster connections and community amongst Young Friends and Young Adult Friends through the means and resources we currently have?: We held a productive threshing session, generating ideas of how to foster a close community across distances with our limited means. Many of the ideas generated involved using social media and internet video calling to hold activities and discussions throughout the year. We also discussed ways of promoting youth attendance at gatherings. The notes are attached and will be provided to the Youth Subcommittee of Education and Outreach.
  7. Closing Worship: We closed with silent worship.

Friday, August 15

  1. We opened with overdue merriment followed by gathered worship.
  2. Inquiry and Healing – CMMC: We heard an update from the clerk on the status of the Inquiry and Healing process being organized by Continuing Meeting of Ministry and Council. The clerks will ensure that relevant information on this is passed on to Canadian Young Friends Yearly Meeting.
  3. Nominations: Annie Takaro reported on behalf of Nominating Committee. We approved the following names.

Young Adult Friend clerk: Christina Tellez

Nominating Committee: Misia Robins

Listener: Isaac Klaassen-Wright

Education and Outreach: TBA.

Sporadical editors: Shaun Bartoo and Thea Walmsley

Co-recording clerk: Jonah Egan-Pimblett

We ask the Nominating Committee to continue discerning names for Education & Outreach Committee.

  1. Memorial minute for Isaac Miller: We spent some time in worship sharing to celebrate the life of Isaac Miller, who died this winter. Friends shared their appreciation for Isaac’s energy and vitality when he gathered with us last year as part of the Youth Challenge. We feel this loss on our hearts. We hold his family and New Brunswick Friends in the Light.
  2. Minutes of appreciation: We thank the following Friends for their service to Canadian Young Friends Yearly Meeting: Keith Barber for organizing Youth Programme and attending to our needs with great enthusiasm; Cate Friesen for the thoughtfully-curated and abundant snacks, as well as her organizational expertise; Caroline Balderston-Parry and Richard Reed Parry for inviting us to participate in the Arcade Fire concert (!!!!!!); and Bill Curry and Dale Dewar for their always-excellent sex talk.
  3. Closing worship: we closed with silent worship.

Unofficial gleanings from the Epistle Committee:

“We have kind of a mental draft.”

“Yeah, we can improvise.”

“I mean, we’ve been here all week.”

“I think the Holy Spirit is just silly this evening.”


Attached reports:

Young Adult Friend Clerk’s Report

It’s been another busy year, although quite different from the previous year. 

Some of the work undertaken this year has been:

  • Follow up administration and support for the 2013 Youth Challenge – including helping YFs and YAFs get reimbursed for their costs, coordinating with the CYM office, sending reminders to evaluation forms, and writing and presenting a report to Representative Meeting.
  • Attending Fall Representative Meeting with YF Clerk Angelica Dixon in Ottawa
  • Attending Spring Representative Meeting in Toronto
  • Participating in CYM Finance Committee meetings
  • Working with Education & Outreach Committee and the Trustees to get access to funds left over from last year’s Youth Challenge for CYM 2014 and 2015.
  • Working with a subcommittee of Education & Outreach to transfer administration of Youth Challenge funding for CYM 2014 – thanks Brent and Christina!
  • Coordination with Programme Committee re scheduling and logistics for CYM 2014.
  • Periodic communications stuff – posting to the CYFYM website and Facebook group and sending out a couple of emails to the YF/YAF contact list.

In the aftermath of the Youth Secretary’s resignation and report to CYM 2013, there was increased work load from Friends coming to CYFYM clerks where they used to go to the Youth Secretary. This was at times helpful and at others frustrating and burdensome. While there is much enthusiasm for supporting YFs and YAFs amongst Canadian Friends, there is not always a deep understanding of how best to do this.

Nominating Committee report

Dear Friends,

Two years ago in CYFYM business meeting we decided to re-create a YF Nominating Committee which would serve throughout the year not only during CYM in session. This new Nominating Committee was given the task of checking in with all of our YF/YAF representatives to other Canadian Quaker bodies. In May I sent emails to our representatives on CFSC, E & O, Publications Com, Records Com, and Programme Com asking how their work went and if they felt supported by their committees. I received replies from Christina Tellez (E & O), Lucy Miller (Programme Com) and Nat Egan-Pimblett (Pub Com). All three are content in their work and feel that they have enough support from their committees. I enjoyed doing the check-ins because it gave me a good reason to connect with other Friends and hear briefly about their well-being. I realized while sending out these check-ins that we have no system in place to support YF/YAFs who are struggling or unhappy with their committee work. If one of the Friends I contacted reported negatively, would I be expected to help alleviate the negative situation? What body could I go to for more support? Other Nom Com members? CYFYM Clerks? Is it Nom Com’s job to facilitate communication and healing between YF/YAFs and their CYM committees? These are questions that I’m not sure have definite answers, especially with the limited infrastructure of CYFYM.

Nom Com was also asked to report on continuation of our committee throughout the year. As always, our main difficulty was staying connected during the year. I had good response from some Nom Com members and limited or no response from others about the check-ins and the preliminary nominations before CYM. I can think of three possible options for moving forward. 1) We continue on as we have for the last 2 years with committee members active for 2 full years, 2) we go back to the way things were before that when Nom Com was named from the floor of CYM and was laid down at the rise of the meeting or until all necessary positions were filled, 3) a combination of the two. Nom Com can consist of less members during the year (maybe 2, one Eastern and one Western Friend, if possible). These two will deal with check-ins and any arising nominations during the year. A couple more members can be named from the floor of business meeting to assist with the larger nomination rush during CYM and lay down their position at the end of the week. The newly named members can still work with full-time members to carry out nominations during CYM even if these full-time members cannot attend gathering (power of the internet!) Hopefully you all can discuss my ideas in business meeting. That’s all for now.

Light, Jessica K-W

Webminder’s Report

Nat Egan-Pimblett

Despite having served as CYFYM’s webminder for 12 months, there’s relatively little to report. My activity has been mainly posting things to the CYFYM blog and some light maintenance to do with the CYFYM email accounts. Bruce Dienes has been very helpful, engaging, and patient in getting me up to speed on the ins and outs of technical side of things. However, Young Friends seem to be doing at least as much business on sites like Facebook as on our own infrastructure.

In addition to keeping up our blog, I also served on Publications and Communications Committee (PubCom) in the same period. We met once in person in Toronto, and convened a few times via conference call and email. This committee’s work is divided between CYM’s website (and the associated forums where other committees can pursue their business) and CYM’s publications. This year we hired a new web-editor, and have discussed possibilities for the future of the Canadian Friend (the committee’s major publication) existing online as well as in print. I invite any Young Friends interested in what we’re doing online to get in touch with me for more details.

In Friendship,

Nat

Listener’s report

Hello!

No one contacted me this year, and so, not a whole lot to say, I suppose.

I’m missing the CYM crew this year – send my regards and hugs and stuff to everyone.

xo

Sandy

CFSC Report

Rachel Urban Shipley and Maggie Knight, who are both serving on the board of Canadian Friends Service Committee, reported in the absence of Stephen Robins, the Young Friend representative to the board. These Friends gave a brief overview of the overall structure of Canadian Friends Service Committee, including the subcommittees, and then gave updates on their activities through the year. Most salient were the trips: Maggie went to Elsipogtog, New Brunswick on behalf of the Quaker Indigenous Rights Committee to bear witness shortly after the RCMP acted violently towards the Indigenous-led anti-fracking protests there, while Rachel attended a Restorative Justice conference in Belfast, Northern Ireland, to represent Quakers Fostering Justice.

CYFYM Minutes 2015

Canadian Young Friends Yearly Meeting Minutes 2015

August 17, 2015

Present: Christina Tellez (co-clerk), Jessica Klaassen-Wright, Rachel Singleton-Polster, Ben Urban Shipley, Mylene DiPenta, Matthew Webb, Misia Robins, David Raymond, Zaley Warkentin, David Summerhays, Rachel Urban Shipley (co-recording clerk), Jonah Egan-Pimblett (co-recording clerk).

Regrets: Angelica Dixon (co-clerk), Stephen Robins.

2015.08. 17. 1 Opening Worship                                                                                                                           We opened with silent worship. The clerk read from the Canadian Yearly Meeting of The Religious Society of Friends Advices and Queries:

Do not assume that vocal ministry is never to be your part. Faithfulness and sincerity in speaking even very briefly, may open the way to fuller ministry from others. When prompted to speak, wait patiently to know that the leading and the time are right, but do not let a sense of your own unworthiness hold you back. Pray that your ministry may arise from deep experience, and trust that words will be given to you. Try to speak audibly and distinctly and with sensitivity to the needs of others. Beware of speaking predictably or too often, and of making additions towards the end of a meeting when it was well left before.

2015.08.17.02 Introductions and agenda review

After rising from the silence, we did a round of introductions. The clerk then gave an introduction to the practice of Meeting for Worship for Business and reviewed the agenda.

2015.08.17.02 Report from the YAF clerk

The YAF clerk reported on her activities for the year, including attendance at Representative Meeting in the fall and Finance Committee meeting in the spring. Representative Meeting in the fall made the difficult decision to not hold Yearly Meeting in 2017, and Spring’s Finance Committee meeting discussed further CYM’s financial difficulties. Christina also attended a conflict resolution workshop in Maine. The YAF clerk noted that tomorrow morning there will be an Extended Meeting for Worship on the future of Quakerism in Canada and invited us to attend.

2015.08.17.03 Naming from the floor

We named positions from the floor: CYFYM epistle committee (Ben Urban Shipley and Misia Robins); a representative to the CYM epistle committee (Rachel Urban Shipley); and a reapresentative to the correspondence committee (Matthew Webb).

2015.08.17.04 Nominations

Misia Robins from Nominating Committee brought forward the names of David Summerhays and Carol Leigh Weighking as listeners for the week. We approved these names. Misia reviewed CYFYM’s positions and introduced the list of open positions: Young Friend clerk, co-recording clerk, two nominating committee members, Education and Outreach representative, webminder/Publications and Communications representative, Canadian Friends Service Committee representative, Program Committee representative, and Records Committee representative.

2015.08.17. 05 Gathering in 2017 (Result of Threshing Session)

CYFYM would like to move forward with the idea of holding a YF YAF retreat at Camp NeeKauNis in 2017. This gathering would likely start on the Thursday or Friday before FGC (which starts on a Sunday), and youth would be invited to travel to FGC together. To carry this idea forward, we have formed an ad hoc committee, consisting of Rachel Singleton-Polster (representing CFSC), Jessica Klaassen-Wright (representing Education and Outreach and FGC), Misia Robins (representing NeeKauNis), the YF-YAF co-clerks, David Summerhays (representing the Food Co-op), and the Young Friend Program Committee Representative. We welcome and rely on the support of CYM committees to help with the logistical and financial details of this retreat and attendance at FGC. 

2015.08.17. 06 We closed with worship

 

August 20, 2015

Present: Christina Tellez (co-clerk), Jessica Klaassen-Wright, Ben Urban Shipley, Peter Stevenson, Misia Robins, David Summerhays, Rachel Urban Shipley (co-recording clerk), Jonah Egan-Pimblett (co-recording clerk).

2015.08.20.01 Opening Worship

2015.08.20.02 Agenda Review

2015.08.20.03 Report back from August 20, 2015 CYM MFWFB 

Christina Tellez recounted her experience of what happened this morning at CYM MFWFB regarding CYFYM’s minute for their proposed 2017 gathering. It was received with enthusiasm. CYM has committed their support for this gathering. Representative meeting will meet nearby to foster a sense of community among Canadian Friends.

2015.08.20.04 Reports

No reports have been handed in, but will be shared online and included in the minutes at a later date.

2015.08.20.05 Proposed change to Sporadical

We ask the current Sporadical Editors to shift their presence towards an online blog. We explored the pros and cons to this new format. We have been in communication with the current Sporadical Editors, and have ensured lines of support for a smooth transition. Jessica Klaassen-Wright has offered to support them in her capacity as E&O committee member. The Clerks will also direct them to Publications and Communications Committee for support. 

2015.08.20.06 Nominations

Misia Robins brought names to the floor for the following positions. These names were approved. The current Nominating Committee will continue to discern regarding the position of YF clerk, and will bring a suggestions to the clerks. 

Nominations Committee – Daniel von Schulmann Van Island MM

Listener – David Summerhays Montreal MM

E&O – Vale Abbott Limbo

Program committee – Jonah Egan-Pimblett Saskatoon MM

YF Clerk – ~

Co-recording Clerk – Thomasin Cooper (Subject To Consent)

Archives Committee – Adrian ?-? (Subject To Consent)

PubCom – Shaun Bartoo (Subject To Consent)

CFSC Rep – Rosie Coots (Subject To Consent)

2015.08.20.07 FWCC World Plenary in Peru

Christina Tellez’s name was brought forward as a representative to the FWCC gathering in Peru. Travel costs will be minimal due to her studying in Bolivia at the time, she feels the way has opened reinforcing her desire to attend this gathering. We ask Christina to report back to CYFYM and CYM on her return. We have allocated $500 in support for her travels. We ask CYM to appoint Christina as one of their delegates.

2015.08.20.08We closed with worship.

CYFYM Minutes 2016

Monday August 8, 2016

Present: Keighlagh Donovan (Edmonton), York Dudiak (Edmonton), Maggie Knight (Vancouver), David Raymond (Ottawa), Zaley Warkentin (Winnipeg), Jessica Klaassen-Wright (Saskatoon), Christina Tellez (Halifax), David Summerhays (Montreal)

  1. 08.08.1 Worship

We opened with worship

2016.08.08.2 Introductions and Agenda Review

The clerk gave an introduction to the purpose of a meeting for worship for business. We reviewed the agenda and did a round of introductions.

2016.08.08.2 Naming a recording clerk for this session

Many thanks to David Summerhays for offering to serve as the recording clerk of this session. 

2016.08.08.3 CYFYM at CYM

The clerk shared information of some CYM opportunities and activities that pertain to CYFYM: CYM agenda review committee has reached out to ask if any young friends would like to sit at the Clerk’s table during CYM Meetings for Worship for Business; young friends are encouraged to attend Tuesday’s CYM Business Meeting, which will be an extended meeting for worship following up on previous discussions on the future of CYM and introducing the question of what to do with an anonymous donation of $250, 000 that was given to CYM; Program Committee wanted to know if young friends would organize a dance party after the LGBTQ evening program.

2016.08.08.4 Naming a Nominations Committee and Epistle Committee

The clerk introduced the positions that CYFYM had traditionally filled on CYFYM and CYM committees that are currently vacant. Unfortunately no one from the CYFYM nominating committee was able to attend CYFYM this year. It is also tradition that CYFYM produce an epistle that can be shared with other young friends and other Meetings. One friend noted that in recent years these epistles have taken on different creative forms. Friends settled into silence to see if they feel led to serve either on the nominations or epistle committees. Maggie Knight offered to assist in making nominations. The clerk will work to make nominations. David Raymond offered to reach out to young friends in his Meeting in relation positions open for nomination. David Summerhays and David Raymond offered to work together to craft an epistle. Thank you to these friends. 

2016.08.08.5 Clerk’s Report

The YAF clerk reported on her activities throughout the year. One of these activities was her involvement in the Clerk’s Committee of CYM. This year was the first time a CYFYM clerk participated in the Committee of Clerks’ monthly meetings on a regular basis. The clerk reported that it was worthwhile to be part of these discussions, which built relationships and knowledge. The clerk was able to contribute the perspective of young friends at these meetings. One Friend noted that this was a good opportunity for leadership and development. If there is the capacity for this exchange in the future, then we hope that it will be continued. 

The clerk also reported on her attendance at the FWCC World Plenary in Peru from the 21-27th of January 2016. The clerk expressed her gratitude for the opportunity to attend the 2016 FWCC World Plenary, much of which was made possible by the contribution made by CYFYM. Please find the report on this attached.

The final item the clerk reported back on was the status of the 2017 Youth Gathering that was minuted in CYFYM’s 2015 minutes. The ad hoc committee continues to work on the programming and logistics of this gathering and is currently gathering information that will be helpful to this process. The committee is engaging with representative from various CYM committees who are able to assist with this work. The gathering will be held from June 29th-July 2nd 2017, at which point young friends will be encouraged to travel to FGC, which begins on July 2nd. 

2016.08.08.6 Future of CYFYM- Discussion Intro

The clerk and other friends introduced an important discussion 

2016.08.08.7 Closing Worship

CYFYM Minutes 2007

First Sitting

Canadian Young Friends Meeting for Worship for Business

Monday, August 6th 2007

In Attendance: Kelly Ackerman (Clerk), Marika Haspeck (Recording Clerk), Ellen Cheatley, Steven Dewar-Turcotte, Chris Barfitt, Peter Stevenson, Jessie Thomson, Rachel Singleton-Polster, Reykia Fick, Keith MacGowan, Leah Foy, Christina Tellez, Jaya Kersemayer, Rachel Urban-Shipley, Jesse Husk.

 

  • A brief moment of opening worship began our meeting.
  • Agenda review and group introduction.
  • Nominating Committee gave a review of the positions that are currently open for the upcoming CYFYM 2008. Members who had previously served on committees spoke on their experience of service with these committees. Current positions available are: YF Clerk, HMAC, CFSC, Listeners, Sporadical Publisher, and CYM Mentoring Clerk. A written procedure for nominations will be brought forward on Wednesday and will be posted for consideration prior to our next business meeting.
  • Meeting was asked if they felt comfortable having two members on Nominating Committee, as our third member was unable to attend this gathering. The Meeting felt this was fine.
  • Peter Stevenson spoke briefly on the position of the YF/YAF appointed to Agenda Committee, and clarified what was involved with being on the Agenda Committee for CYM business meetings. There was discussion of this position and the position offered by CYM Business Meeting for a YF/YAF to be given a seat at the clerking table and experience the process of clerking the CYM Business Meeting. Although at this time there was little interest shown, the invitation has been left open to anyone who should feel led to be a part of this experience.
  • Emily Stewart, Youth Ministries Coordinator for FGC spoke on the FGC Youth Ministries committee and the Quaker Youth Website. She also brought forward Young Quakes, a program available for High School aged students which allows YF’s to learn and share with members of the Quaker Community. quakeryouth.org has a large amount of information available on activities and events that YF’s and YAF’s can be a part of.
  • An Epistle committee of Jaya Karsemeyer, Kelly Ackerman, Steven Dewar-Turcotte, and Christina Tellez was approved by the meeting. A draft will be brought to Business Meeting on Friday.
  • A YAF raised the concern that YF’s may feel overwhelmed by the larger presence of YAF at this year’s CYFYM. It was mentioned that the interaction and support of YAF’s in meeting is welcomed by YF’s and that the week is early and we have many experiences on a social and informal level yet to come. We hope that we can all keep this concern in mind throughout the coming week and that we can foster our relationship as a community of YF/YAF’s.
  • Members appointed to committees were asked to bring a brief report of their experiences serving on CYM committees to Friday’s business meeting.
  • Meeting was closed with a moment of silence.

 

Second Sitting

Canadian Young Friends Meeting for Worship for Business

Friday August 10th, 2007

In attendance: Kelly Ackerman (Clerk), Marika Haspeck (Recording Clerk), Peter Stevenson, Steven Dewar-Turcotte, Rachel Urban-Shipley, Christopher Barfitt, Christina Tellez, Lea Foy, Jessica Klaassen-Wright, Ellen Cheatley, Bill Curry, Julie Sullivan, Reykia Fick, Rachel Singleton-Polster, Erin McDougall, Andrew Esser-Haines.

2.1 We opened with silent worship.

2.2 Introductions of our guests in meeting as well as a round of names of members present.

2.3 Bill Curry, International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons. Bill spoke to us on the ICAN project and noted that CYM had already endorsed the project. ICAN demands a Nuclear Weapon Free World. Friends read each demand out loud to allow for all of us to have the opportunity to hear what ICAN is working for. ICAN will be launched this coming fall. Young Friends Yearly Meeting was asked if they agree with endorsing this project. (See attachment) www.pgs.ca (Physicians for Global Survival). We endorse this project. We approve that the Clerks will write a letter to forward in support of ICAN.

2.4 Nominating Committee brought forward a new binder of practice to use as a working document to be updated as needed in future CYFYMs. This document was circulated before this meeting and feedback will be included in the current edition. Young Friends present at meeting expressed gratitude for the hard work put in by the current Nominating Committee.

2.4-2 Names brought forward for positions open for the 2007/2008 year:

                YF Co-Clerk: Rachel Singleton-Polster

                Recording Clerk: Lea Foy

                Listeners: Christina Telez & Peter Stevenson

                HMAC: Marika Haspeck

                CFSC: Maggie Knight

Nominating Committee: Jesse Thompson (First Named), Jesse Husk (Alternate), Rachel Urban-Shipley, Steven Dewar-Turcotte.

*During the approval process for the above listed names, concerns were brought forward of the current steps taken when a serving member is unable to serve. We reviewed our current procedure and we hope that nominating committee will be able to ensure that this is kept in mind throughout the year, and that this procedure is clarified in the binder. The meeting has approved the above list of names.

2.5 A brief presentation of the FWCC Youth Pilgrimage was brought to the attention of the meeting.

2.6 We have received two reports from those committee members currently serving. These reports will be appended to these minutes, and the remaining will be emailed to the recording clerk for inclusion and posting.

2.7 CYFYM Procedural Binders:

                Peter Stevenson and Kelly Ackerman have brought forward a suggestion that in our procedural binders, each committee or delegate of service should make changes based on the most appropriate course of action at the time of change. However, larger changes that are of more concern to the committee should be brought to the wider body of CYFYM for approval.

                It was suggested that copies of these procedural binders be brought to Jane Zavitz-Bond to place in the CYM archives.

                Peter expressed that information about what each committee does along with procedures and policies developed and a list of important correspondence should be included in each binder. It was recommended that binders be organised by year.

2.8 These minutes were approved.

2.9 Meeting closed with silent worship.

CYFYM Minutes 2008

Canadian Young Friends Yearly Meeting Minutes 2008

August 11-14

Augustana College, Camrose, Alberta

01-11-08-08

We Opened with worship

02-11-08-08

Steven Dewar-Turcotte stepped in for recording clerk.

03-11-08-08

Canadian Yearly Meeting’s Home Mission and Advancement Committee (HMAC) requested for a Young Friend/Young Adult Friend to go for a three-year term, instead of the previous one-year term. Marika Haspeck, our current representative, has said that she would go for the next two years if we decide to approve this. Some Friends thought that having a back up representative would be helpful, but the concern was raised that it may be hard to get enough young Friends to nominate two in one year. A Friend raised the idea to stagger the two representatives so as the senior representative could help the junior representative. It was also suggested that we could let Marika finish the last two years, and then she could tell us her thoughts about how we should proceed. A Friend asked if we could also ask HMAC how they felt about having two Young Friends. We approved for Mairka to continue her term, and to talk to HMAC about having two Young Friends, then report back to us and we can decide then.

04-11-08-08

The clerk asked Friends who felt led to serve in a position to bring their names forward to the nominating committee, and also to recommend others. A Young Friend asked for the different roles to be explained, and clerk Kelly Ackerman read the positions, and explained what each position is. A Friend asked about nominating Friends who were not present at the current CYM, and the clerk stated that as long as the nominated Friend was given ample time to decide on whether to take the role. It was mentioned that anyone can be nominated, but it’s the nominating committee’s job to make the final nominating decisions.

05-11-08-08

We received a request from Katrina McQuail asking for funds for her travel between her home in Ontario and Johnstown, Pennsylvania for Young Friends’ business at the Friends General Conference gathering. She did not specify the funds needed, so a Friend asked if we could ask her for these numbers, while we also check the treasure’s report, and then make our decision.

06-11-08-08

The clerk asked for Friends who had other business to come talk to him by tomorrow and we will have another business meeting tomorrow if needed. A Friend stated that the Agenda Committee is inviting a young Friend to join their meetings. Also, it was stated that if a young Friend wanted, they could sit with the clerks during business meeting to learn more about it. Friends were asked to volunteer to write the epistle if they feel led to do so.

07-11-08-08

We closed with worship.

08-12-08-08

Our meeting opened with worship

09-12-08-08

Katharine Carmichael came to speak to us about peace work, including counter recruitment. She wonders if we could start some counter recruitment projects. We decided that anyone who wanted to participate was to talk to Katharine.

10-12-08-08

Marika Haspeck gave us her thoughts on having a staggered 3-year term for a young Friend serving on HMAC, and also told us how HMAC felt about it. She will bring more information next year.

11-12-08-08

We received more information from Katrina McQuail, including where she went, and how much money she was requesting (see 05-11-08-08). In total she is requesting $300-$350 for her travels. We do not have the treasure’s report yet, but we approved for $350 subject to funds available.

12-12-08-08

Rachel Urban-Shipley, Jonathan Trofymow, and Marika Haspeck were approved to serve on the epistle committee. Different ideas were raised so we can have the epistle approved by the group, and we decided that we would like the epistle done for Friday at 6:00pm for review.

13-12-08-08

A Friend asked for a report from the web-minder about the Young Friends Website. There is a need to better define the web-minder’s position, and there is also a need to fill this position with a new member this year. We could ask nominating committee to find a new person this year, and next year the new member will check in as to what they think this position should be in future.

14-12-08-08

A concern was brought to our attention that for many positions, we don’t know what has been going on, and that many people don’t know what their positions are and what they are accountable for. This has been an ongoing problem. Our idea was that if we made the nominees sign a sort of “contract” stating what they should be doing, the person nominated would have a reminder to do their job. Marika has said that she will be willing to take steps towards finding strategies for a resolution to this issue. We are encouraging other Friends to join Marika. She will report back during Thursday’s business meeting, along with anyone who decided to help her.

15-12-08-08

We ended with closing worship.

16-14-08-08

Steven Dewar-Turcotte stepped aside as recording clerk and was replaced by Max Garver.

17-14-08-08

We opened with opening worship.

18-14-08-08

We send our nomination of Kelly Ackerman for Camp NeeKauNis Committee to CYM’s nominating committee. We recognise that as we are not a Monthly Meeting, this is not a regular practice. We leave further discernment of this issue to CYM’s nominating committee. We also will send a letter of support, which will be up for approval on Friday, for Kelly to the nominating committee and camp committee.

19-14-08-08

We would like to reconsider the term length of the nominating committee at next year’s CYFYM.

20-14-08-08

We approve all the following positions:

Young Adult Clerk: Peter Stevenson (For 2 years)

Recording Clerk: Jessica Klaassen-Wright (For 2 Years)

Listeners: Kelly Ackerman & Amie Trofymow (For 1 Year)

Programming Committee: Jonathan Trofymow (For 2 Years)

Sporadical: Rebecca Ivanoff, Grace Egan-Pimblett, Brigid Egan-Pimblett (For 1 Year)

Nominating Committee: Kelly Ackerman, Reykia Fick (Subject to Consent), Katherine Hope, Elen Cheatley (Subject to Consent) (For 1 Year)

Webminders: Jessica Klaassen-Wright, Steven Dewar-Turcotte (For 1 Year)

Treasurer: Noah Garver (For 2 Years)

Mentoring Clerks: Bert Horwood, Dale Dewar (For 1 Year)

Canadian Friends Service Committee: Jessica Klaassen-Wright (For 1 Year)

Marika Haspek is serving her second year in a three-year term for HMAC. Rachel Singleton-Polster is serving her second year in a two-year term as Young Friends Clerk. Peter Stevenson is continuing representing Young Friends on the Faith and Practice Development Committee. (Added by Peter Stevenson, acting as Minute Reviewer)

21-14-08-08

The 2008 CYFYM Epistle was read. It will be approved on Friday after Friends have had a chance to review and comment.

22-14-08-08

We read, discussed, and approved the first draft job description for the Youth Secretary for Canadian Young Friends. This first draft will be read at CYM Meeting for Worship for Business and sent to the Hiring Committee for further review and action. We expressed great excitement for this position and our continued involvement in its implementation.

23-14-08-08

We addressed the accountability issue that was discussed on day two. We decided that since the recommendation was not complete, Marika and other Young Friends who felt led could work on it over the year. Peter also volunteered his time for answering questions or resolving issues. We anticipate the presentation of the recommendations at the start of next CYM.

24-14-08-08

We closed with closing worship.

CYFYM Minutes 2010

Canadian Young Friends Yearly Meeting 2010

Canadian Mennonite University Campus

Winnipeg, MB

Co-Clerks: Peter Stevenson, Rachel Urban-Shipley

Recording Clerk: Jessica Klaassen Wright

Attending: Chris Abbott, Jonah Egan-Pimblett, Ben Segel-Brown, Grace Egan-Pimblett, Brigid Egan-Pimblett, Chris Barfitt, Jonathan Trofymow, Kevin Abbott, Ebony Campbell, Kimberly Powers, Rachel Singleton-Polster, Daniel Von Schulmann, Melody Powers, Sam Beardsell, Jaya Karsemeyer

01.19.08.10

The Meeting opened with a moment of silence.

02.19.08.10

Peter Stevenson talked about the Canadian Young Friends Yearly Meeting (CYFYM) Fund with the meeting and explained the state of our finances. CYFYM currently has over $3,000 in the fund and has still not received the annual allowance from Canadian Yearly Meeting (CYM). Ben Segel-Brown asked the meeting for funding to attend CYM 2010. He came with a minute of support from Ottawa Monthly Meeting and requested $380.97. This money will be reimbursed to Canadian Friends Service Committee who is currently paying for his expenses. There was a feeling of support in the meeting and we approved the request.

03.19.08.10

Rachel Singleton-Polster, Jonah Egan-Pimblett, and Daniel Von Schulmann served on Nominating Committee this year. CYFYM discussed all the names presented to the meeting by Nominating Committee. All the names listed below were approved.

Committees of CYM

Records Committee: Brigid Egan-Pimblett

Publications & Communications: Ben Segel-Brown

Programme Committee: Ebony Campbell (Replaced by Sandy Zelazny)

Home Mission and Advancement Committee: Jonah Egan-Pimblett

Canadian Friends Service Committee: Chris Abbott

CYFYM

Young Adult Friends Clerk: Alan Tatro

Recording Clerk: Grace Egan-Pimblett

04.19.08.10

There were no names brought forward for Sporadical of the CYFYM web-minders. Rebecca Ivanoff is the current editor of the Sporadical and the meeting suggested that we ask her if she is willing to continue with this position. Kimberly Powers expressed an interest in this position. Her name was discussed by the meeting and we approved these names as co-editors.

Ben Segel-Brown is willing to continue as an informal web-minder. He also expressed that he cannot change the website if there is no content to put on it. The meeting discussed the possibilities of getting more content on the site.

05.19.08.10

A concern was raised that listeners are not always easy to contact. Peter Stevenson suggested that we publicise their contact information with the list of national listeners. Listeners should be aware that their names will be publicized, and they should also work to make it easier for YF’s and YAF’s to contact them.

06.19.08.10

In a great sense of relief, the meeting ended on time with a moment of silence.

CYFYM Minutes 2013

The compiled minutes from CYFYM Meeting for Worship for Business are now available over at the business section of quaker.ca. email hidden; JavaScript is required if you need the password.

To find the document, head over to quaker.ca/business, enter the password, and click through the Young Friends Yearly Meeting section.  

our_business_section 

We’re working diligently to get past years docs up here as well.